Thursday, November 19, 2009

THIS *?\!* AIN’T FUNNY

I have a confession to make. For years, I’ve suffered from potty-mouth. It’s the halitosis of expletives, and very unattractive. So last week, I decided my birthday present to myself (November 23rd) is to become a ‘swear-free’ Tracie. I made this decision because I wasn’t raised by parents who swear, and I really don’t want my son to develop this habit.

And the bottom line is swearing is not an effective communication skill. An educated person should be able to make her point, persuasively, without denigrating herself or her audience.

I’m disappointed in the now viral James Perry campaign video, mostly because I know the candidate and he’s better than this.

The lesson for all mayoral candidates should come from the negative public reaction to Perry’s commercial. Folks aren’t just saying they don’t want profanity laden campaign advertisements, they are also saying this election is serious business, and we will not countenance gimmicks.

Don’t curse at us. Don’t inundate us with negative commercials. Don’t treat us like children.

New Orleanians are issue educated, and they want a Transformative Leader, who will move this city to the prosperity it was promised and so richly deserves.

Swear at your own peril.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

The point of the commercial is to get people talking about James Perry. Your response verifies that his strategy is working. Don't get me wrong, your concerns are legitimate, but swearing is just not a taboo anymore. Yes, we are issue educated... but we have a sense of humor too.

Unknown said...

TV commercials may be important reflections of how candidates see themselves inspiring and/or teasing their audiences, but it really does come down to issues as you said.

And the video from the first mayoral debate with the responses to the Youth Study Center question was embarrassing for every candidate except Perry who: a)knew it was a juvenile jail while others thought it was an afterschool program and/or a library and b)had a thoughtful response to move forward on that issue had been locked up in litigation and negotiations for the last two years.

I'm not a partisan in this race, haven't donated to anybody's campaign, but have followed YSC and it seems Perry actually knows what's happening in the city.

Tracie L. Washington said...

Matthew:
I couldn't agree with you more on the Youth Study Center issue, which is why I was so puzzled by the commercial. James' response to the question was incredibly thoughtful, and evidenced his grasp of the issue. This could have been his first campaign commercial -- without the swear words -- and it would have bode far better for his reputation and this race.
Just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

i thought it was funny. but then again, i don't want anyone as mayor. i want to de-centralize power and decision making.

-all power corrupts

MrRayNichols said...

Yer right Tracie...

I'll go to work on it too!

Ray