Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Victims of Police Brutality and Community Leaders Demand US Justice Department widen its Probe of NOPD

A newly formed coalition, Community United for Change, will be holding a picket line and press conference to announce their demand to US Attorney General Eric Holder and the US Justice Department to widen their present investigation of the NOPD to include all instances of police violence, abuse and murder over the past 30 years.

* When: Tuesday April 20, @ 11:00 am
* Where: 600 Camp Street
* Who: Community United for Change

"We don't want the investigation to look at just 8 instances of abuse. We believe there are scores of victims in our community and scores of murderers and abusers on the NOPD" said Peggy Williams. Family members of victims who have received no relief on the local level will join with families who are currently included in the 8 cases being investigated. Together they will add their voices to demand an enlarged probe.

The Assistant US Attorney Perez stated that the New Orleans Police department is suffering from a "Crisis of Confidence", He continued by saying, "I'm very, very disturbed by the allegation we're investigating . . . We certainly intend to use every law enforcement tool at our disposal to ensure that wrongdoing is uncovered and that in the long-term systems are put into place to prevent these problems from happening".

Organizers of of CUC said that they "are holding Perez to his words by demanding that an enlargement of the federal investigation be given to all acts of deprivation by the NOPD."

They also will announce the convening of a public hearing to be held at 6pm, Thursday, April 22 at St. James AME Fellowship Hall on 219 N. Derbigny Street. The public hearing will take testimony from victims, witnesses and family members of the deceased to present to the US Justice Department in support of our demand to widen the probe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son Jimmy Georgeson, was first assaulted by a federal marshal, ultimatley hospitalized, thought I would have his badge, but instead they charged my son with assault, since he has a record, his attorney said he had no chance in court and took a plea, still had assault on a federal marshal on his record, then got out, don't get me wrong my son had his issues, and many known disabilities, so on parole walked out of drug rehab, and then got a warrant, 2 federal marshal's I know their names, came to my house many times, and I tried to help them because I wanted my son off drugs, why I trusted them a second time, I don't know, but four hours after I last spoke to the federal marshals in my home, whom told me what a gentelman my son is and how much they liked him, not to call local authorities if I heard from them, calling them incompetent and trigger happy, yet they told me to drug my son with xanaax and call them to pick him up, again four hours later, they boxed my son in a parking lot in his dad's truck, and my son had two other teenagers with him, the parking lot was full with many customers, they walked to the side of the truck said get out one second later shot him in the face and chest, unsure how many bullets my son was hit with, heard 18 from one and 3 from another, and around 35 shot all together, one bullet going throgh a womans car with a baby, many witnesses fifty or more watched it all and said my son was gunned down, killed in cold blood, the feds statement was my son was using his vehicle as a weapon, but they shot through the drivers side window, last time I checked automobiles don't go sideways, there is surveilance of the whole thing, and the story stays the same, also the other two kids in the truck. Again my son did have issues, his record is bloated to say the least, the media makes him look bad, and two weeks later the agency investigating my son's homicide, shot and killed a 18 year old boy, he had a knife and bullet proof vest, my son had no weapon, kids unlimited was able to share on the news how good this kid was and scared of the gangs, my son's story doesn't go behind his convictions, I don't get it, and am worried that the feds will get away with this, in the meantime, my mother in in icu since first of january, and my son shot on the fifth of january, can't hardly move, almost catatonic, bills behind for a month and coming up with another months worth, where can I get help?my name is seppie greico, phone is 5417342022, checked anonymous cause I don't have other accounts. thanks and please believe me when I say charges are bloated, my son at best was a runner, and easily explained, drug user, petty thief.